The trends in building design in the 21st century will increasingly be focused on sustainable development, i.e., development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Synonymous with this is the need to design buildings that are environmentally responsible. From a building services perspective, the objectives are to:
- minimise energy and water consumption,
- minimise greenhouse gas emissions and pollution,
- reduce waste generation,
- provide an adequate indoor environmental quality.
These objectives are being achieved at IBEC by adopting an integrated multidisciplinary approach to building design ranging from optimising passive design (day-lighting, shading and natural ventilation) to the design of energy efficient systems and integration of renewable energy.
IBEC has part of its professional team, a Sustainable Department which provides the following services:
- microclimate analysis
- passive design (day-lighting, shading and natural ventilation) analysis
- building modelling
- thermal comfort analysis
- energy / water efficient building services design
- economic analysis of energy efficient options
For building modelling process, the following software is used:
- IES VE – thermal and energy modelling.
- DIALux and Radiance – daylighting modelling.
- Sefaira Concept – initial green building design analysis.
These tools are used to guide the project team’s decision making process at early design stage.
We are also involved in producing and submitting documentation for the Green Loan. Green loan is a funding scheme set up by the Agence Francaise de Developpement in partnership with four banks to encourage green initiatives. The loan is associated with a grant of 8% which is transferred to the project developer after project completion.
Our team also include Green Star SA Accredited Professionals who are dedicated to provide sustainable solutions.
We are a founding member of the Green Building Council of Mauritius and Ronnie Ramsamy, our Senior Mechanical Engineer, is a board member of GBCM. Our involvement with GBCM has included the production of a local context report regarding how the Green Star SA Office Tool v1 can be adopted in Mauritius.